The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 represents a leap forward in Xiaomi’s Redmi Note series. It is the successor to the previously released Redmi Note 8. It spots a more refined design, an improved display, an improved camera system, and lots more. This article covers a comprehensive tutorial on how to root the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, which gives you access to tweak settings reserved for its OEM. While it is very similar to our earlier guide on how to How To Root Xiaomi Redmi 10x 4G, it provides a specific guide for rooting Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 devices.
The reason behind your desire to have your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 device rooted isn’t far fetched. You aren’t satisfied with your device’s stock settings and therefore desire to break the restrictions preventing you from making changes to the core settings of your device. Well, not to worry, this article has got you covered.
Much like any Android rooting tutorial and also like what we had on the tutorial on how to root the other Xiaomi devices, there are some prerequisites you must settle before you can dive into the rooting process. The prerequisites will make the rooting process go on smoothly.
Prerequisites for Rooting Xiaomi Redmi Note 9
The Prerequisites for rooting your Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 smartphone, along with the detailed procedure, is provided below for your learning. They are:
- A Computer
- A Mi account
- At least 70% battery charge remaining.
- A 100% unlocked Boot Loader (boot loader unlocking tutorial will be provided in this article)
How To Unlock The Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Bootloader
1. Navigate through settings > About phone.
2. Now, Continuously tap on the MIUI version till you get the message that developer options have been enabled.
3. Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging by Navigating through Additional Settings > Developer options > Now look for OEM Unlocking and USB debugging and enable both of them.
3. Adding your Redmi Note 9 smartphone to Mi Unlock Status: Navigate through Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options > Mi Unlock status and then proceed to add your Mi account to your Redmi Note 9
4. Now Unzip the MiFlash Unlock tool zip file downloaded you downloaded on your computer
5. From the Unzipped folder, run the MiUsbDriver.exe program, which will install the required USB driver
6. From the folder, also run the miflash_unlock.exe program
7. Now sign or sign your Mi Account with the required particulars
8. Verify the requested permissions
9. Boot your device into fast boot mode and proceed to connect it to your computer using a USB cable. : Hold Volume Down and Power button together to boot into fast boot mode. You are to keep holding the button combo until a fast boot appears.
10. Click on the unlock button that appears on the Mi Unlock tool on your computer to begin the bootloader unlock process
11. Finally, wait for the process to complete and then proceed to reboot your smartphone
Installing TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Smartphone
1. Download TWRP and extract TWRP on your computer
2. Rename the extracted TWRP file to twrp.img
4. Power off your smartphone
5. Now boot your smartphone into fast boot mode by holding the Volume Down + Power button together until it boots into fastboot
6. Proceed to open the ADB folder on your computer
7. Select the address bar in the ADB file
8. Type CMD in the address bar and hit the enter button
9. now type this line of command with the quotes and hit enter “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img“
10. Also, run this “fast boot flash misc misc.bin” on CMD
11. Finally, wait for the fast boot command to finish installing the TWRP and reboot
Rooting the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 with SuperSU.zip
2. Power off your smartphone
3. With your smartphone powered off, boot into TWRP recovery by holding the Power button + Volume Up key together
4. Now tap on the install button and navigate to where you stored the SuperSu.Zip file
5. Proceed to flash the SuperSU.zip file by using the slider buttons.
6. Repeat the same process to flash No verity opt encrypt.zip
7. Tap install and navigate to where you stored No verity opt encrypt.zip file
8. Proceed to flash the No verity opt encrypt.zip file by using the slider buttons as prompted
9. Finally, reboot your smartphone to complete the rooting process
Rooting the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 may require a plethora of steps, but it’s definitely worth it. Follow the steps in the order they were provided, and you will get your Redmi Note 9 device rooted in no time. However, please feel free to drop them in the comment section below quickly if you have any questions about this tutorial.