Android OS is hands down the easiest and most customizable mobile operating system so far. It is open to many tweaks and modifications
Today’s article will be focused on how to change Android font family, styles and characters. An Android device with an ugly font style pisses one off, I don’t like it myself.
Fortunately, there are many ways one can change his/her smartphone font character. While some devices come with a large number of pre-installed fonts which can be accessed from the device settings menu, others do not. Smartphones that lacked this feature can rely on the use of 3rd party apps to change its fonts.
The default pre-installed fonts installed by some OEM’s in their smartphones are not usually many and you might likely not find your preferred font character or style.
As earlier stated above in the first paragraph, today’s article will be focused on how to change and install your favorite font style on Android devices.
The List in-Full
Some of these apps may require ROOT (i.e. the smartphone must be rooted). To know more about rooting an Android device with and without a PC, follow after the tips in this link, or watch this YouTube Video.
Read on for the full tips on best 8 ways to change font on Android devices.
Method One – System Settings
This applies to smartphones that comes with font managing feature by default. To change your Android smartphone’s font, follow the steps below.
- Slide down the notification bar and click on the settings gear icon, or manually locate the settings icon on your app drawer.
- Scroll, find and click on the display settings option.
- Click on Font Style to open the pre-installed fonts on your smartphone.
- Select your preferred font and click on USE/ACTIVATE/OK.
In just four clicks you can change your device’s style to use a preferred font.
Method Two – The use of Launcher Apps
Starting with Go Launcher App
Go launcher is a premium Android launcher app which lets you customize your Android device to your taste. There are lots of good features in this app but we will be concerned on its Font Management feature.
To change and switch to a customized font on your Android device using Go Launcher app, follow after these steps:-
- Ensure you have TTF font files saved on the device.
- Launch the App (GO Launcher)
- Locate Tools and click on it.
- Click the Preferences icon.
- Scroll to Personalization and click.
- Tap on Font > Select Font. Make your choice and then click OK.
Method Three – Use of Mobile Apps
Starting with iFont (Expert of Fonts)
iFont is a popular and widely used app for installing custom fonts on android devices. It has lots of beautiful fonts, styles and features. You can also download fonts online and use same for free.
This app works perfectly on most Samsung devices without requiring root access while for other smartphones Root access is needed.
To change your smartphone’s font using iFont, follow the steps below;
- First, you have to allow your device to install apps from “Unknown Sources.” This setting can be found and activated in Settings > Security.
- Launch the app (iFont) and switch to the online tab and then click on the font name you wish to install.
- Tap on the Download button.
- Then go to your device Settings > Display > Font Style. You’ll see your newly installed font here, click on it (the new font) and set it as the system font.
- It automatically starts working, no need to reboot.
HiFont is a premium android app which works perfectly for changing fonts. The app is packed with hundreds of font characters and it’s compatible with all Android versions above 4.0, but requires Rooting for non-Samsung devices.
To change android fonts using HiFonts, follow the steps below;
- Download app from Play store.
- Launch HiFont.
- Toggle on the categories – Hot, Rank and New tabs to make your choice.
- Click on a font and the preview will be shown
- If you feel comfortable with the preview click on use and then reboot your device
- Your font is already installed.
Features of HiFont includes;
- Works without root on Samsung smartphones
- Supports Flipfont changer system.
- Allow the use of self-customized fonts.
- Extra-big fonts for aged persons.
- Provides fonts for which could help dyslexic readers
- Has support for Korea, Japan, Arab, Russia, French, Spanish, Vietnam, Myanmar font characters!
- Cool emoticon and smiley.
- Colored font (works on Android version 4.4 and above)
FontFix is a good app to take on while trying to change your Android device font style/character. It is a free app on playstore and works on all Android devices, though requires root access.
With FontFix you can preview fonts before installing them and you also preview font files online before downloading them.
Steps to change Android fonts with FontFix;
- Download App from app store
- Launch the app.
- Select your preferred font from the fonts listed, you can easily search for a particular font by tapping on the search icon at the top-right.
- Found your desired font? ok, then click on the “+” button located downwards (right) to generate the preview, afterward click on install.
- After installation, go to Settings>Display>Font>Font style and switch to your newly installed font. (Locating the font style setting may differ in different devices)
Features of FontFix include:
- up to 4,300 fonts to choose from.
- Doesn’t require root on supported devices (some Samsung devices, HTC Sense-powered smartphones)
- Additional font settings.
Stylish font app allows one use attractive and stylish font characters on any Android device. It generates instant preview when you select a font to use.
below are steps to use Stylish Fonts on your android smartphone;
- Download or Install Stylish Fonts from an app store (preferably Playstore)
- Chose your desired font style and click on it to generate the preview.
- Tap OK to activate the Font right away.
Features of Stylish Fonts
- Instant Preview of Fonts
- Changes Font from app, no need to visit your phone settings
- Good User Interface
Fonter is a mobile app which lets Android users change their device font or change the font of a particular app. Follow the steps below to use this app.
Note: Device must be rooted, except for few Samsung smartphones with FlipFonts feature by default.
- Allow installation of apps from “unknown sources“. this setting can be found in Settings>security.
- Download Fonter app and install
- Launch the app, you’ll be greeted by two options “change system font” and “change app font”.
- Select the one you wish to change and you’ll be led to the tons of available fonts in the app, click on install.
- Return to your device Settings>Display>Font>Font Style, select the newly installed font and click on USE/OK/ACTIVATE.
- Your font is installed, Enjoy!.
Install System Fonts (No Root is Required)
This method can only be used if your device comes with Font Management feature. Most Samsung and LG Smartphones comes with pre-installed fonts and also has the option to download more font packages from Google playstore.
If you are lucky to have this feature on your device, you won’t be needing Root Access to change your device font. Simply follow these steps below to change your Android device font;
Go to Settings>Display>Font Style and select your preferred font. Tap on “Get Fonts Online” to download lots of beautiful fonts from playstore.
Most of the Android fonts changing methods listed in this article requires root access to work on non – Samsung smartphones. There are lots of apps which claim to perform the function of changing your smartphone’s font look, but these methods betters them
Feel free to add to the list if you have come across any other functional app for changing fonts on Android phones and/or tablet devices.